High quality drinking water for Sydney
Sydney’s Desalination Plant can produce an average of 250 million litres per day of drinking water for up to 1 .5 million people.
This is enough to fill more than 100 Olympic swimming pools per day and is equivalent to 15% of Sydney’s total drinking water supplies.
The plant is capable of being scaled up to double its capacity if required in the future.
The desalinated water is treated to meet the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines, regulated by NSW Health.
Sydney Desalination Plant Water Quality Policy
The Sydney Desalination Plant Pty Limited’s (SDP) vision is to be viewed by all of its stakeholders as the operator of a reliable and sustainable world class water asset benefiting the people of Sydney.
In line with this vision, SDP is committed to producing and supplying to customers safe, high quality water that consistently meets the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines and other regulatory and contractual requirements.
To do this, we will work with industry-leading partners to:
- manage water quality at all points along the delivery chain from the ocean catchment, through the desalination plant to the delivery point;
- use a risk-based management approach in which potential threats to water quality are identified and balanced;
- integrate the needs and expectations of our customers, stakeholders, regulators and employees into our planning;
- establish regular monitoring of the quality of drinking water and effective reporting mechanisms when operating;
- develop and maintain an effective incident preparedness and response system;
- continually improve our practices through knowledge application, exploring opportunities in research and development and enhancing our relationships with stakeholders.
SDP, in partnership with its Operator, will maintain a drinking water quality management system and practices consistent with the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines to effectively manage the risks to drinking water quality.
All SDP managers are responsible for supporting and implementing this policy and all employees, including the Operator and any subcontractors, are responsible for being aware of and complying with this policy as it applies to their roles.